Tuesday, October 13, 2020

When Richard Called

Richard, a volunteer for the Biden Victory Fund, called last night.  While sipping a hot cup of tea, I was busy at the time writing letters for Vote Forward, a get-out-the-vote effort. It had been a lovely fall day, but with enough nip in the air to warrant long pants and a sweatshirt plus that cup of tea. When Richard called, it was after dusk, and I’d added a woolen shawl around my shoulders, and snuck up the heat on the thermostat.

 

Dave and I never answer the phone for telemarketers, pollsters, or “unavailable” numbers, but our Caller ID had identified Richard’s cause, and desperate as I am for a Biden win, I picked up the phone. 

 

Richard had barely launched his spiel when I interrupted. I thanked him for the work he was doing, told him of my ardent support, but added that I was comfortable with the amount I’d already donated to the campaign.  

 

To my surprise, he didn’t argue. He coughed.  A hearty, the-man-is-sick, cough. “Can you hold on a minute while I get some water?” he asked. 

 

“Of course,” I replied. 

 

When he returned and said, “I’m back,” I noticed how congested he was. 

 

“Richard, you don’t sound well.  Do you have a cold?” 

 

“Yes. I’ve had some health issues for a while.  We don’t usually make calls on Sundays, and I’d hoped to rest a bit, but so much is at stake, and the election’s close, so they added this day to the schedule. I’ll keep it light though.  Only two or three hours more.” 

 

“Maybe you should get a cup of tea,” I suggested. “I’m having lemon echinacea myself.”  

 

“Sounds like an idea,” he replied, then set about completing his mission. “We’re grateful for what you’ve already given, but just so you know, if you decide to give tonight, it will be triple-matched.”

 

Triple-matched. Hm. I repeated the line about my comfort at my previous level of giving, but as Richard coughed and sipped his water, I thought about the many sleepless nights I’ve spent staring at the ceiling while holding fervent fictional conversations with Trump supporters. 

 

Under the cloak of darkness, I have all the right words and evidence. What answer can be given to the damage and cruelty of this administration’s policies? The separation of children and nursing infants from their mothers in detention camps.  Staunch advocacy of the unborn yet tolerance of white supremacists and defense of assault weapons that have enabled mass-shootings. Alienating allies while cultivating authoritarian leaders. Public dismissal of COVID as nothing to fear even as American deaths surpass 210, 000. The dismantling of agencies, programs, and laws set up over decades to protect the planet and its creatures.

 

I thought of the new word I learned in the Boston Globe this Sunday that described to perfection the habit I picked up in January of 2017: Doomscrolling. While I’d avoided the news since my bout with cancer because I thought it was unhealthy, since Trump’s inauguration, I tap the news feed on my phone every morning, and sometimes several times a day, with the sick need to know what has he done now?  Doomscrolling sets my heart pounding and feeds my fury and incredulity with each fix, yet it’s a compulsion I can’t seem to shake. 

 

Since I was little, I’ve been a worrier. As a child, I worried about grades and getting in trouble. At work, I worried about word choice, guest lists, seating, and palm fronds. As a mom and grandmother now, I worry about my loved ones’ happiness and safety… and that’s where politics and love intersect. It is relatively new territory to add world events to my worry portfolio, but shootings, COVID, climate change, and this world of endless wars are no longer distant: they threaten my kids and their children… as they do the children of those who support Trump. Hence my disbelief when Republicans say to me, “I hate the guy, but I like what he’s doing.” I’ve heard that too many times and to me, character matters. 

 

Shields and Brooks, the PBS Friday night commentators, observe that most people are tired of chaos and are looking for “safe hands.” Safe hands. Oh, how that spoke to me of refuge and peace. Unlike Trump who focuses on his needs and the present, Biden’s plans embrace all Americans, as well as future generations whose well-being depends on our actions now.  Biden is not perfect, but he’s honorable, and has given his life to public service. Trump has missed that piece of the job description entirely.  In the search for safe hands, the choice is clear.

 

“Richard, you salesman you,” I said. “It’s hard to pass on that triple match. You can count me in.”

    

9 comments:

Gail said...

Good for you! I’ve given directly, but haven’t yet agreed to that triple match plea. I may yet have to contribute one more time.
I pray we vote an honorable man into the Presidency.

Joanne Zatzkin said...

We do what we can, but it's hard to say no!! It's time for a true father figure, the kind we love and respect.

Lorelei Atwood said...

These are all things I know, yet reminded of again so eloquently by your compelling prose. We do need safe hands. Ones that firmly point us in the right direction and gently bring us back together.

Joanne Lenore said...

My daughter keeps telling me to quit reading the news first thing in the morning. But it's so easy to look on my phone! After reading this, I'm going to redouble my Biden/Harris calls. Funny note: I've given to specific campaigns (usually through Act Blue) and causes, but I noticed on my credit card statement a bunch of $1.20 charges. They were the division that Act Blue calculated from my last donation! Good to know they're sharing the 'wealth.' 3 weeks....
Nice writing, as always, Lea. And condolences for your family's losses.

Janice Curtin said...

Loved this post! Your writing just continues to evolve. I could actually hear that conversation between you and Richard in my mind. You've done more than anyone else I know to support and encourage voters in this election. Hoping for a landslide!!

Lea said...

Several people have written to say my post was a little nudge for one more donation to Biden's campaign... I hadn't foreseen that, and I'm so grateful for the friends I have, their hearts, and generosity. SOOOO much rides on this election! I feel like everything I hold dear is in jeopardy under this administration. Praying, praying, praying for change! XXOO

Tricia said...

Dear, dear Lea,
I'm sorry for this rough time for the Sylvestro family and tough losses.
I completely relate to your doomscrolling - I'm so guilty and then berate myself because it's toxic and makes me feel worse and poof! There goes another 30 minutes.
And like Janice commented - I am grateful to you for the energy, work and $ you've contributed. Thank you! Strange times. A big cyber hug to you, my friend! xxx Tricia

Laurie Stone said...

Like many people, Lea, I share with your nail-biting anxiety over this election. Just put my ballot in the Easton receptacle yesterday and gave a little prayer. I can't imagine the alternative. Biden must win.

Susan W said...

Hey, I think I've figured out how to post on your blog! Lea, great blog, as always - you're a wonderful writer. Doomscrolling - perfect word for what I've been doing, also. xox Susan