Thursday, December 3, 2020

Christmas Catalogue Connection

Covid might have derailed holiday plans and traditions, but Christmas nostalgia is deeply ingrained, with triggers as varied as the scent of cinnamon, carols playing on Sonos, Dickens on my bedside table, and the L.L. Bean catalogue appearing in the mail.

 

With a cup of tea in hand and a Bean’s catalogue to browse, it could be any decade from my past: me in a voluminous, unflattering Lanz nightgown, Mom and Dad reading by the fire in Vermont in the seventies, or, in the eighties, my kids in their pajamas, playing with their Transformers and Cabbage Patch Kids. L.L. Bean is consistent, and relatively unmoved by trends. Models smile rather than pout, and stride through snow in sturdy boots and puffy parkas without that awkward hand-on-cocked-hip pose favored in most fashion magazines. L.L. Bean’s catalogue is colorful, familiar, and comforting. 

 

Not long ago, I called the company’s 1-800 line to order some gifts, and a woman answered the phone.  She introduced herself and asked how she could help me.  I had questions about sizing, fabrics, and colors, and she was patient and friendly. I must’ve been feeling raw that day, for her kindness touched some deep chord, and I was inordinately grateful for her gentle voice. 

 

“Can I tell you something?” I said. “You have no idea what it means to have a real person, a nice person, answer the phone.” 

 

I confess, I choked up a bit… I know. It’s pathetic, but so it was.  “Everything now is rushed and impersonal, all about business and money. It means something to have a human connection. Please let the company know how important that is, and how much I appreciated talking to you. ”

 

She was quiet for a minute, then said, “Just this morning, I left home for work and thought, ‘Here I go; off to change the world selling slippers and sweaters. I felt sheepish about my job. But maybe the way I do it does make a difference in someone’s day. So, thank you for saying that.” 

 

Again, I assured her it did, and we signed off with warm wishes for the holidays. 

 

Dave has all the flannel shirts he’ll ever need, and my signature Bean’s rubber-soled boots have held up over the years as advertised. We already have snowshoes, quilts, towels, and turtlenecks, but still, I flip through the catalogue, enjoying the ride: evergreen wreaths, berry-red candles, families in matching plaid PJ’s, and precious Labrador puppies peeking from canvas tote bags. It’s a relief in this time of turmoil, loss, and disease to give myself over to the fantasy of L.L. Bean world and pretend that it is 2020 that is the illusion. 



 

An added note: My husband, Dave, routinely asks for a manager in order to compliment an employee when someone has been helpful. They certainly hear the complaints, but not always the good things, and THAT can make someone’s day.   

 

  

9 comments:

Rayma said...

What a beautiful thought- it is the little things that touch our hearts! Thanks for sharing this and wishing you and yours the warmest (and healthiest) of Christmastime this year!

Nancy Ddavenport said...

Hello Lea,
I can totally agree with you about L.L. Bean! I ordered L. L. Bean Christmas wreaths for you and others in the last few days, and everyone I talked to there was kind, patient, helpful, and welcoming, while I repeatedly fiddled around with/modified my requests.
The world population could learn a lot from Maine and L.L Bean!

All the best for a happy holiday with your family, and I will miss seeing you all this Christmas!

Aunt Nancy

gail m said...

I love your observation, "models that smile instead of pout" ! Yes!
Maybe someone from the LL Bean team would like to be on Biden's business administration team?
Thanks, Lea. Merry Christmas!

Sydney Thayer said...

...and we just got the Wolferman’s catalog which in days gone by used to be the best English Muffin available and the only place to order crumpets. I ordered the crumpets immediately but I still order my English muffins from my new fav: https://www.damgoodenglishmuffins.com and they always include a handwritten note of thanks in each box.
Thanks for reminding us of the small treasures we should pause over and in which we might find some grounding emotions.

Beverly Alexandre said...

Thanks for reminding me of so much good that is still happening in this stressful time.....Dave seeking out supervisors to pass on thanks akd praise! Love that! Merry Christmas to you all!

Christine said...

Absolutely loved this post and the memories it brought back. I shared it with Molly Beth who when she was at Skidmore was an avid wearer of LL Bean. I remember going to the store one time when we were in Maine and loving it. Also agree with Gail M. about really connecting with the line "models that smile instead of pout".

Have a wonderful Christmas and let's hope that 2021 brings some more opportunities to travel. Love to all xxx

Laurie Stone said...

What a wonderful story, Lea. Got choked up a little when that lady reacted to your compliment in such a sweet, unexpected way. Nerves are frayed these days, but it's the lovely little things that make life easier. Happy Holidays!

Lea said...

The holidays are a teary time even under normal circumstances, but even more so with the addition of Covid deprivations to Christmas movies and memories. I had to work to suppress sobs the other night while watching the first of the Christmas Chronicles!! Oh dear! Our house is more decorated than it's been since the kids left home, and I keep thinking of the closing lines in The Grinch, about even without all the food and the presents, Christmas came, it came just the same... I'm teary even writing that! But that's the wonderful thing; for those of us lucky enough to be healthy and have our loved ones be the same, it still feels like Christmas... and hopefully by next year, we'll be gathered again with family and friends, grateful that 2020 is in our rear view mirror. Thank you for your words and stories! XXOO

Rose Jurgen said...

Here is  my testimony on how I was cured of HIV by Dr Akhigbe,with his natural herbal medicine.  on a regular basis in efforts to help others when I could. As you may know, each donation is tested.  Well, on July 6th I had a meeting with a Red Cross representative and was told that I had HIV. “What went through your mind when you heard that "Rose" Good question reader! To be honest, I thought my life was over, that I would ever find love, get married, have children or anything normal. Lucky for me I have an amazing support system.  My family supported me then I never thought that I was invincible to STD s or pregnancy or anything else parents warn their kids about. I just didn’t think about it. I was in a monogamous relationship and thought that I asked the right questions.  We even talked about marriage Scary.  During that time I was in college and donated blood on a re as well. who helped me in search of cure through the media.there we saw a good testimony of sister 'Kate' about the good work of Dr Akhigbe natural herbal medicine cure.then I copied his email address and contacted him. A good herbalist doctor with a good heart, he is kind, loving and caring. He replied back to my message and told me what to do. After a week the doctor sent me my herbal medicine and instructed me how to take it.Yes it worked very well, after drinking it I went to the hospital for another test and everything turned negative. What a wonderful testimony I can never forget in my life. Dr Akhigbe is a man who gave me a life to live happily forever so all I want you all to believe and know that cure of HIV is real and herbs is a powerful medicine and it works and heals.  Dr Akhigbe also used his herbal medicine to cure diseases like:   HERPES, DIABETES, SCABIES, HEPATITIS A/B, STROKE, CANCER, ALS, TUBERCULOSIS, ASTHMA, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, LUPUS, LIVER CIRRHOSIS, DEPRESSION, HIV/AIDS, EPILEPSY, BACTERIAL, DIARRHEA, HEART DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER, COLD URTICARIA, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS,INSOMNIA,  BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, CHROME DISEASES, CHLAMYDIA, INSOMNIA HEARTBURN, ,  THYROID, MAR BURG DISEASES, MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, BODY WEAK, SMALLPOX, DENGUE, FEVER, CURBS, CHANCRE, AND OTHERS VARIOUS DISEASES/ VIRUS.   You are there and you find yourself in any of these situations, kindly contact Dr Akhigbe now to help you get rid of it. Here is his email address:
   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      or you can write to him on whats app with his phone number:   +2349010754824.
  My appreciation is to share his testimony for the world to know the good work Dr Akhigbe has done for me and he will do the same for you.