Thursday, October 21, 2021

Woodland Neighbors

The bark of the fox was loud, close, and strident. Was it distressed? I ran downstairs to check, unsure what my next step would be if I discovered an injured fox. I looked out the front window and scanned the road. No fox, but a bobcat sauntered down the path through the garden. I knocked lightly on the window, and he glanced over his shoulder, his face maned, wild, and beautiful. He might as well have shrugged, he was that uninterested in me, but the fox barked again, and he took off. 

 

During the winter, two red foxes frolicked in the snow as I watched, breath held, from my bathroom window; a tiny bonus earned during one of my many middle-of-the-night pee-breaks. It is my habit to scan the yard as it slopes along the stone wall to the edge of the woods. Is that shadowed form a stump or a bear? The stump has been there for decades, yet still, I check it nightly for signs of life. Slow learner. 

 

But one morning last May, Dave called softly, “Lea. You might want to see this.”

 

I was still abed, sleeping, and just barely registered his voice. Sometimes my petulant streak emerges, and I ignore the call for a time or two. Thank goodness, however, I responded and joined him in the bathroom where he stood in the tub, phone upheld and filming. A black bear, sleek, handsome, and mighty, was enjoying a birdseed snack at the feeder in the yard below.



We watched as he climbed the stone wall, lifted his nose to the air, sniffed, and returned to the seeds. Annoyed by the paltry sprinkles released by the pat of a paw, he stood on his hind legs, knocked the feeder down, and sat on the grass for a picnic. 

 

Dave and I were captivated by the bear’s every action. The ripple of muscle beneath glossy fur.  The ease with which he moved and took care of his feeder frustration. His relaxed approach once seated for his meal. 

 

When he’d had his fill, he ambled around the side of the house. I scampered downstairs and into the front hall to watch through the window. He stopped at the road, looked both ways, turned right, and lumbered off.


 

After that visit, our son gave us a movement-sensitive night camera, and we have enjoyed watching our nocturnal visitors: coyotes, fox, possums, skunks, and raccoons. During the day, turkey families periodically parade through our yard as well, their heads swiveling on necks that stretch and contract like rubber bands. We don’t see deer as much as we used to, not since hunting season was expanded to four months. Weary of my animal-advocacy, people explain with earnest patience that if not for the compassionate culling of herds by hunters, deer would suffer and starve. My protests about habitat loss and predator populations diminished by hunting are met with eye rolls and head shakes. I push back when some complain about chomped flowers: we have Stop & Shop; the deer and bear have our gardens and feeders.

 

Given the increase in wildlife sightings overall, I’ve wondered if our woodland neighbors were emboldened when Covid confined us, the marauding humans, behind closed doors. But we were set free months ago, and our quiet country road has again become a speedway for neighborhood kids on motorbikes and quads. I hope our fellow creatures are cautious: we live in the woods after all, and this is their dominion. We are the crooked cog throwing off the ecosystem, and if we are to survive, we must learn our place.   

 

  

Note: in our area, we are fortunate to have Wildlife in Crisis, an organization knowledgeable in caring for wounded wildlife: 203-544-9913   

  

9 comments:

Gail said...

Black bear are much more common here. Trash is kept inside the garage or in bear proof boxes, bird feeders are discouraged as is composting of anything munchable.
Last winter we had a large male visiting. He regularly broke into unlocked cars looking for a bag of dog food or a fast food wrapper hastily tossed in the back. He came inside one house, took out the trash and opened the refrigerator before moving on. He even broke off 6 of the main branches of my 5 year old weeping Cherry- just because it was fun.
We love living among them, are not afraid of encounters at a respectful distance, but do take the precautions we can to protect our property.

Lea said...

Whoa! That's quite a tale! Sad about your cherry tree, and whew, sure wouldn't want to come home to a bear in the house! I was grateful for the view from an upstairs window! XO

gail m said...

His mama must’ve taught him to look both ways before crossing. Beautiful essay, Lea.

Lea said...

That absolutely floored us! That the bear looked both ways! We (humans) never give animals enough credit for their intelligence or emotional lives.

Tricia said...

I also got a kick out of the bear looking both ways - and you even have a shot of it! What a beauty! You live in paradise! Well, except for some of the humans there but that can't be helped. :) But really, it seems like you have a front row seat there. And what better way to spend a day. When I was growing up as a city kid I discovered May Sarton who seemed to have the life - surrounded by and observing nature. I still think so. Thanks for sharing these glimpses! xxx Tricia

Laurie Stone said...

Lea, I wonder if your bear is "our" bear? Had one a few months ago. Its an amazing sight. I agree, the hunting of these creatures for whatever reason, sickens me. We're on their turf, not the other way around.

Lea said...

I agree whole-heartedly Laurie!

Gerry said...

One of the things I am missing a great deal with the new monstrous building behind me are all of the wildlife creatures that would wander through the little strip of land between my place and the woods. Fox, raccoon, squirrels, deer, turkey, even the birds have all moved on to more hospitable places. I envy you seeing so many around you. One of my co-workers volunteers at Wildlife in Crisis. She has the sweetest pictures of baby creatures they are rehabilitating. Some she can even cuddle if they won’t be able to be released back to nature. Glad that you mentioned how much they try to help the wildlife in the area.

Lea said...

Oh Gerry, I think of you and those changes every time we drive by your place. Hard to miss out on all those wonderful glimpses!